Praetorian Fiber Optic Sensing for Pipeline Monitoring and Leak Detection
The Praetorian Fiber Optic Sensing System can be installed on a buried or unburied pipeline and can immediately detect pipeline leakage, ground disturbances, manual and machine excavation, theft, hot tapping and vehicle movement. The Fiber Optic System continually monitors large spans of pipeline, looking for vibration and temperature changes. Once a detection occurs, the system alerts the operator or security personal to the exact location of disturbance in the pipeline. This type of real-time intelligent monitoring is critical to operating efficiently and protecting valuable assets.
- Oil (Crude of refined)
- Gas (any type)
- Mining tailings
- Water/waste water
Principle of Operation
The Praetorian emits a laser pulse down a fibre optic cable to measure vibration and temperature as well as the position of that vibration and temperature. Using a combination of Rayleigh backscatter, Brillouin Backscatter* and time of flight, Praetorian determines the presence, location, intensity and frequency of vibrations and temperature changes along an optical fibre in real time. Rayleigh Backscatter responds to physical vibration imparted on the fibre by disturbances to the application. HAWK's signal analysis software allows Praetorian to quickly determine the most likely origin of the vibration and report any erroneous signals to maintenance personnel of potential issues with the pipeline. Brillouin Backscatter* responds to shifts in environmental temperatures and is used to detect the temperature drop associated with the reduction in fluid pressure caused by the leak taking advantage of the Joule-Thomson effect.
- Praetorian can function on applications where either the product is invisible (gas) or the pipeline cannot be visually inspected (buried).
- Immune to the effects of a broken or cut fiber
- Fiber optic sensing detects not only the presence of the leak but its specific location.
- Self-diagnostics monitor the unitÍs condition and maintain optimum performance
- No maintenance or calibration require after commissioning
- Monitor up at 80km (50mi) at the same time.
- 24/7 real-time monitoring
Sensing Element: Fiber Optic Sensing Cable
Number of Channels: 1 or 2
Interrogator Operating Temp: 0-40°C (32-104°F)
Unit Operating Humidity (max): 10-85% @ 40°C Non-Condensing
Power Supply: 110-240VAC (50-60Hz), 24VDC